Ranting About Pies – Book Review

Like many of you, I’m working through a handful books as the hot humid days keep me in the cool air-conditioning. I am struggling to read C. S. Lewis’ The Problem of Pain; enjoying the epic Titan: the Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow; listening to the audiobook edition of Becoming Clementine by Jennifer Niven (available through many public library’s digital collections) and reading Grace Will Lead Me Home by Katherine Valentine. So in addition to these titles, here are a few more picks. I hope you enjoy your reading time!

 

World of Pies

Fiction

By Karen Stolz

One reader note about this book – don’t read on an empty stomach! This is Stolz’s debut novel and is a collection of short stories about twelve year old Roxanne who lives in Annette, Texas. It begins in the summer of 1962 and Roxanne is in love with baseball. Each story captures Roxanne as she becomes a young woman and deals with the death of her father, her wedding and even witnesses the first female mail carrier in this tiny town. Roxanne’s world revolves around southern food and the book is filled with recipes just ripe for a church social or other entertaining. It is mouthwatering!

 

Waiter Rant

Non-Fiction

By Steve Dublanica

waiter rantAccording to The Waiter, “80 percent of customers are nice people just looking for something to eat. The remaining 20 percent, however, are socially maladjusted psychopaths.” This book offers first-hand experience (from NY) of the waiter’s view and expectations of customers. It is witty, outrageous, and unabashed and filled with tales of customer stupidity and arrogant misbehavior. This book allows you to discover for yourself the best ways to insure good customer service, suggestions on proper tipping etiquette, and other untactful tidbits. It is a fantastic and sometimes funny read. Available in book and eBook formats.  Enjoy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s