December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. Roughly one-third of home candle fires start in the bedroom. While more than half of all candle fires start when flammable items are too close the candle.
We love candles and burn some all year long. However, unlike other items in your home that generate light, candles can be dangerous, very dangerous.
This holiday season be candle safe:
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
- Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
- Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down, put it out before its gets to close to the holder or container.
- Never use a candle if oxygen (in tanks or tents) is used in the home.
- While candles do produce light, it is always better to have flashlights or other battery powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Many home has started when residents during a storm relied on candles for their primary light source. It is safer to never use candles.
- Trim candle wicks to 1/8 of an inch at all times. This helps control the amount of fuel or wax that is present.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other places where people may fall asleep.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn
- Never leave a child or pet alone in a room with a burning candle.
- Check all smoke alarms to ensure they are working.